Interested in Becoming a Habitat Homeowner?
At Habitat, we help people help themselves. Our homeowners receive financial education, attend classes that teach about maintaining a home, work alongside staff and volunteers to build their home and neighbors homes, and when its time to move in, will have an affordable mortgage payment.
The process is straight forward and our dedicated staff will work alongside you in every step you take.
Please register below for our Information Session. Once registered, a link will be emailed to you to watch the session, and you will be added to our email list.
Online Homeowner Information SessionSign up to watch a Homeownership Info Session to learn about our program, how to apply and how to qualify. This is NOT an application for homeownership.
Habitat requires that all applicants:
- Live and/or work in Henderson County
- Be a US Citizen or Permanent Legal US Resident
- Living in overcrowded housing
- Living in substandard housing
- Living in temporary, subsidized, or public housing
- Paying more than 30% of gross income towards rent
Ability to Pay
Household income must be stable and be between 30% to 80% of the HUD Area Median Income based on household size.
- Delinquent Debt: No more than $1,500 in total balances
- Revolving Debt: No more than $2,500 in total balances
- Medical Collections: Collections less than 3 years old cannot exceed $2,500
| Henderson County, NC
Income Guidelines for 2022
|Household Size||Minimum Annual Income||Maximum Annual Income|
Willingness to Partner
Applicants will be required to:
- Complete a minimum of 200 Sweat Equity hours per applicant.
- Meet document deadlines as requested, including but not limited to: submitting tax returns, birth certificates, bank statements, and proof of citizenship.
- Authorize credit and criminal background checks.
- Pay a non-refundable $30 application fee (check or money order only, no cash)
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the whole process?
The application process takes roughly 3-6 months. The sweat equity requirement takes 8-12 months. It generally takes about 1 to 12 to 18 months to complete the entire process, from the time you submit the application to the house closing.
What if I am not approved?
If applicants do not meet Henderson County Habitat for Humanity’s criteria for homeownership, and are not selected into the program, they will receive a letter with a description of the reason and a list of HUD approved Financial Counselors or a referral to another qualified organization.
Is there any limit to how many times I can apply?
There is no limit to how many times an individual can apply for a Habitat home.
Is there someone I can speak to about the application process?
Absolutely. For questions or concerns regarding the application process, please call 828-694-0340 extension 115 or email Homeowner Services.