Interested in Becoming a Habitat Homeowner?
At Habitat, we help people help themselves. Our homeowners receive financial education, help with building their own houses and understanding on how to maintain an affordable mortgage.
The process is straight forward and our dedicated staff will work alongside you, in every step you take.
Our upcoming Information Session dates are: Due to the COVID-19 all Information Sessions will be cancelled until further notice.
Until further notice, Habitat is not accepting applications for Homeownership. Please continue to monitor this website for further updates.
T. Collins (Dodd Meadows) Community Center
28 Hofer Court
East Flat Rock, NC 28726
Habitat requires that all applicants:
- Live and/or work in Henderson County;
- Be a US Citizen or Permanent Legal US Resident.
- Living in overcrowded housing.
- Living in substandard housing.
- Living in temporary, subsidized, or public housing.
- Paying more than 30% of gross income towards rent.
Ability to Pay
Household income must be stable and be between 30% to 80% of the HUD Area Median Income based on household size.
- Delinquent Debt: No more than $1,500 in total balances at the time of application.
- Revolving Debt: No more than $2,500 in total balances at the time of application.
- Medical Collections: Collections less than 3 years old cannot exceed $2,500.
Income Guidelines for Henderson County, NC
(subject to change)
|Household Size||Minimum Annual Income||Maximum Annual Income|
Willingness to Partner
Applicants will be required to:
- Complete a minimum of 200 Sweat Equity hours per applicant.
- Meet document deadlines as requested including but not limited to submitting tax returns, birth certificates, bank statements, and proof of citizenship.
- Authorize credit and criminal background checks.
- Pay a non-refundable $25 application fee (check or money order only, no cash)
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the whole process?
The application process takes roughly 3-6 months. The sweat equity requirement takes 8-12 months. It generally takes about 1 to 1.5 years to complete the entire process, from the date of the application to the house closing.
What if I am not approved?
If applicants do not meet Henderson County Habitat for Humanity’s criteria for homeownership, and are not selected into the program, they will receive a letter with a description of the reason and a list of HUD approved Financial Counselors or a referral to another qualified organization.
Is there any limit to how many times I can apply?
There is no limit to how many times an individual can apply for a Habitat home.
Is there someone I can speak to about the application process?
Absolutely. For questions or concerns regarding the application process, please call 828-694-0340 extension 115 or email email@example.com.